A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Almighty Lord - Our Protector

"At last their came to the Gate a respected person named
Good-will, who asked, “Who is there? From where have you
come? What is your purpose in knocking?”
CHRISTIAN: It is a poor burdened sinner who comes from
the City of Destruction. But more importantly, I am going to
Mount Zion, so that I may be delivered from the wrath to come.
Therefore sir, since I have been informed that the way to my
destination is through this Gate, I would like to know if you are
willing to let me enter.
GOOD-WILL: I am willing with all my heart. (And at that he
immediately opened the Gate.)
Now as Christian was stepping through the Gate, he was quite
surprised when suddenly, Good-will pulled him through. In
seeking an explanation for this forceful manner, Christian was
told, “Just a little distance outside this Gate, a strong castle has
been built and its captain is named Beelzebub. From there, both he
and his army shoot arrows at those who seek entrance at the Gate,
endeavoring to slay pilgrims before they pass through.” Then said
Christian, “I rejoice and tremble.”
John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


Christian has arrived at the gate of Salvation and been granted entrance. He was granted entrance, not by anything he had done. He knew he was a terrible sinner and carried that burden upon his back. He had not sought the path, in fact he had sought a different path, but had been guided along the way to the right path. He had fallen into the Slough of Despond, but had been rescued from it by Help. So when he was granted entrance there was nothing that he had done for him to brag on. He didn't even walk through the gate on his own.


As the gate swung open and Christian was getting ready to step through the gate he was pulled through. Good-Will grabbed him forcefully and pulled him through. When Christian questioned this action, he was given the answer. Beelzebub and his minions were prepared even then to stop him from entering in. Ba‘al Zəbûb is Arabic to mean "lord of flies" We know him as Satan, the enemy of God.


Christian wasn't even trusted to get in the gate by himself, least he was slain by the enemy before he did. 

Satan is the enemy of God. He has been about trying to destroy what the Father is about. Satan tempted Jesus. He tempted Him with doubt, pride, and earthly power. He failed. He failed when he thought he had Jesus contained in Hell. He know seeks to kill those that are seeking God. "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." I Peter 5:8  We do not fight the enemy in our power. We are far too weak. The prophet Zachariah communicated it is not by might, nor by power, but by Holy Spirit.


"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2


"We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty ( El Shaddai ), the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign." Revelation 11:17


"And I heard the altar respond: "Yes, Lord God Almighty ( El Shaddai ), true and just are your judgments." Revelation 16:7




“Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty( El Shaddai ), 
who was and is and is to come!” 
Revelation 4:8

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is great stuff. Holy, holy, holy is the LORD God Almighty. Preach the gospel, Al. I swear to God I have seen the gospel lived alive through this man. Listen to his heart, he is right on.

    ReplyDelete