A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Help Comes


"Therefore Christian was left to tumble in the Slough of Despond
alone. But he still endeavored to struggle to that side of the Slough
that was further from his own house and closer to the Wicketgate.
And this he did, yet he was unable to get out because of the
burden that was upon his back.

However, I [Bunyan] saw in my dream that a man came to him
named Help, and he asked Christian, “What are you doing
here?”
CHRISTIAN: Sir, I was advised to go this way by a man named
Evangelist, and he directed me toward the Wicket-gate ahead so
that I might escape from the wrath to come. But as I was pressing
forward, I fell in here.
HELP: But why did you not look for the steps across the mire?
CHRISTIAN: I was so fearful in my escape that I missed the safe
way across the mire and fell in.
HELP: Then give me your hand. So Christian stretched out his
hand, and Help lifted him out of the mire and set him on solid
ground; then the pilgrim was exhorted to be on his way toward the
Wicket-gate ahead." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

God sent someone to help Christian get to the gate. How many people did God send your way to get you to the place where He brought you to a saving grace? He takes care of His children before they come to Him. Think about how you got to where you are. Even if your parents were Christians doesn't mean that you were going to be, also was it chance that you were born to the parents that you were? It amazes me when I look back to what God did to call me.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you..."
Jeremiah 1:5

"...I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee."
Jeremiah 31:3

"For thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I, I myself will search for my sheep and will seek them out...I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak..." Ezekiel 34

"Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.” Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them.  Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15


No comments:

Post a Comment