A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Another Gospel


"A short distance away is Morality Village , in which their
lives a gentleman whose name is Legality. Now he is a very
judicious man of the highest reputation, and as such he is well
able to assist men with the removal of burdens from their
shoulders such as you have. In fact to my knowledge he has
been a great help to many pilgrims in this regard. Yes, and
besides this, he is most skillful in curing those who are plagued
with anxiety concerning their burdens. To him you should go
right now for immediate help. His house is less than a mile from
here, and if perhaps you should not find him at home, then he
has a very pleasant son named Civility who is able to give the
same assistance as his father. As I have said, there you can be
relieved of your burden, and should you then prefer not to return
home, as I would indeed recommend, you can then send for your
wife and children to come to this Village. There you will also find
suitable empty houses available that are reasonably priced. Living
standards and food, while being inexpensive, are of a very high
quality. Added to this enjoyable environment would be the
company of honest neighbors who maintain financial security and
an attractive lifestyle." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

Mr.Legality is a very pleasant man. You would instantly like him, upon meeting him. He makes one feel welcomed and special. He is a man of impeccable reputation, mainly, because it is his most desired goal.  He cares what people say about him, therefore he makes sure not to create controversy. He preaches a gospel that he says frees man from their burden without need of death, it is called religion. He is an angel of light.

"But I am afraid.... your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough..... For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve."
II Corinthians 11

Mr. Legality's son is named Civility. He is an amenable, courteousness and polite fellow. He certainly demands attention when he does something good. He has been taught the etiquette and manners of a gentleman. He dresses impeccably. He is heavily involved in social justice activities that place him front and center of attention.

C.S. Lewis in his gifted book 'The Screwtape Letters' wrote about how demons may keep Christians busy doing anything other than what God had called them to do.

"On the other hand we do want, and want very much, to make men treat Christianity as a means; preferably, of course, as a means of their own advancement, but, failing that, as a means to do anything -- even to social justice. The thing to do is to get a man at first to value social justice as a thing which the Enemy (God) demands, and then work him on to the stage at which he values Christianity because it may produce social justice. For the Enemy (God) will not be used as a convenience." C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters

"Jude, a bond-servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are the called, beloved in God the Father, and kept for Jesus Christ: May mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ." Jude 1-4

Morality, Civility, and Legality are all attempts by man to please God, the problem is we can't please Him outside of the grace of God. Men's attempts are muck and slime before Him. It is when we throw up our hands and say we cannot do it, He comes and uses us.

In Me

Artist: Casting Crowns




If you ask me to leap
Out of my boat on the crashing waves
If You ask me to go
Preach to the lost world that Jesus saves

I'll go, but I cannot go alone
Cause I know I'm nothing on my own
But the power of Christ in me makes me strong
Makes me strong

Cause when I'm weak, You make me strong
When I'm blind, You shine Your light on me
Cause I'll never get by living on my own ability
How refreshing to know You don't need me
How amazing to find that you want me
So I'll stand on Your truth, and I'll fight with Your strength
Until You bring the victory, by the power of Christ in me

If You ask me to run
And carry Your light into foreign land
If You ask me to fight
Deliver Your people from Satan's hand

To reach out with Your hands
To learn through Your eyes
To love with the love of a savior
To feel with Your heart
And to think with Your mind
I'd give my last breath for Your glory 

No comments:

Post a Comment