A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Christian Meets Worldly-Wiseman


"WORLDLY-WISEMAN: Hello there, my good fellow, and where
are you traveling with such a burdened manner?
CHRISTIAN: Yes, it certainly is a burdened manner, and as good a
one as any poor creature ever had. As to where I am going, sir, let me
tell you. I am on my way toward that distant Wicket-gate that is just
ahead; for there, I have been told, I will gain entrance into the way
that will lead to the removal of my heavy burden.
WORLDLY-WISEMAN: Do you have a wife and children?
CHRISTIAN: Yes, but I am so weighed down with this burden that
I cannot enjoy them as much as was formerly the case. In fact, it now
seems as if I had no family at all.

WORLDLY-WISEMAN: Then will you listen to me if I give you
good advice?
CHRISTIAN: Certainly I will, provided it is good, for I am in
great need of wise counsel." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

It is no accident that Worldly-Wiseman meets up with Christian at this place. The Evil One likes to station those  compromised, water-downed, worldly men that play some part in the Church, but aren't of the Church. They are good at putting out the flames of those that Holy Spirit has set aflame. They are talented at getting the Church to turn their attentions to worldly endeavors, instead of what God has called them to do.

The first question Worldly-Wiseman asks is very telling. "Where are you traveling with such a burdened manner?" Later we will find out how he encourages Christian to unburden himself. He also brings up Christian's family. Is this a way to imply that Christian should be caring for his family instead of being on his journey? Some people are very good at making us feel false guilt.

Christian does a wise thing. When he is asked by Worldly-Wiseman if he can give him some advice, Christian allows it. Often we do not allow people to give us advice, even though it may be helpful to us. Christian gives an even wiser caveat, he can give advise, provided it is good.

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:1-2


"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." I John 4:1

"Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety."
Proverbs 11:4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment