A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Former Friends


"The neighbors also came out to see him run; and as he ran, some
mocked, others threatened; and some cried for him to return. Now
among those that did so, there were two that were determined to
fetch him back by force. The name of one was Obstinate, and the
name of the other was Pliable. Now by this time the man was a
good distance ahead of them; however they were resolved to
pursue him, and this they did and in a little while overtook him." 
John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


As the man ran, toward his escape, his former neighbors came out to mock him. He was in good company. As Noah did what God had told him to do, he also was ridiculed.



"But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,  and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be." Matthew 24; 37-39


I have found that our former neighbors will do many strange things to get us to return. Many hope for us to fail. Why would they do this? They hope that following Christ is an illusion so that they can continue to live their lives without guilt.



"For I hear many whispering. Terror is on every side! “Denounce him! Let us denounce him!”
say all my close friends, watching for my fall. “Perhaps he will be deceived; then we can overcome him and take our revenge on him.” Jeremiah 20:10 



What they do not know is that our God is faithful.


"I will sing of the LORD’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
through all generations. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself. 'You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to David my servant, ‘I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations." Psalm 89:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment