A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Plight of Man


"Therefore in this plight he went home, and strained himself as
long as he could, so that his wife and children would not notice his
distress. But he could not be silent long for the reason that his
trouble increased. Therefore at length he broke down to his wife
and children; and thus he began to talk to them. “Oh my dear
wife,” he said, “and you the children of my bowels, I your dear
friend am myself undone and crushed, by reason of a burden that 
weighs heavily upon me: moreover, I am certainly informed that this 
our city will be burned with fire from Heaven, in which fearful 
overthrow, both myself, with you my wife and sweet babes, shall 
come to a miserable ruin, except, which alternative is not yet 
apparent, some way of escape can be found, whereby we may 
be delivered.” John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


This man has read in his book that his city and all its inhabitants will be burned by fire from Heaven. He may have read something like this, "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare." 


He has yet to find a way to escape the destruction, if there is even a way to escape it. He deeply loves his wife and children and senses that the end is near for them all. Is there an answer to his despair?

No comments:

Post a Comment