A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pursuing God


"So I saw in my dream that the man began to run. Now he had
not run far from his own door when his wife and children,
perceiving his departure, began to cry out to him so that he might
return. But the man put his fingers in his ears and ran on crying,
“Life, life, eternal life.” So he did not look behind him, but
rather fled toward the middle of the plain." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

The man is instantly faced with his first obstacle, his wife and children crying out for him to return. Bunyan is not saying that the man deserted his family, but that his family were asking him to not change. They wanted him to continue to be the person they had come to know, but he dramatically didn't listen to them.

It was shortly after I followed God, that I came up with an obstacle. The person that was sharing why I needed Christ, told me that I wasn't yet a Christian because I had yet spoken in tongues. He shared several scriptures with me to backup his point. I did not know where my wisdom came from, but instead of being filled with doubt and despair. I was able to know what I knew.

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." I John 5:20

Do not let anyone stop you from your journey in pursuing God, no matter how close or important that person is in your life. Do as the man did, close your ears to them and run toward Christ! Do not look behind you! Stay in the middle of your path!

No comments:

Post a Comment