A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Man Alone


"At this these close relatives of his were greatly amazed. It was not
that they believed to be true what he said to them, but rather
because they thought that some frenzy distemper had got into his head.
Consequently, with the night approaching, and with the hope that sleep
might settle his brains, they got him to bed with all haste. However
instead of sleeping, he spent that evening in sighs and tears.
So when the morning was come, they enquired as to how he was
feeling, and he told them, “Worse and worse.” He also intended to
talk to them again, but they began to firmly resist him. They also
contrived to drive away his demented frame of mind by means of
surly carriages toward him [responding with contemptuous and
irritating behavior]. Sometimes they would deride, sometimes they
would chide, and at other times they would quite neglect him.
Therefore he began to retire to his bedroom to pray for and pity
them, and also lament over his misery. He would also
walk alone in the nearby fields, sometimes reading and sometimes
praying; and so for some days he spent his time in this manner."
John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


The man was still struggling with his sin. The guilt over his sin would not go away. What made matters worse was that those that he thought would be there to comfort him and give him support were doing just the opposite. They thought he was mentally ill. They were condescending, disdainful, and scornful. When one is down it is extremely disheartening when your loved ones do not support you.

"Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me." Psalm 41:9

"If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were rising against me, I could hide.
But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship. Psalm 55:12-14

Like the man, one must carry on seeking after God, no matter what those around them may say. Your relationship with Him is far and away the most important. You may lose all around you, but don't lose God.

No comments:

Post a Comment