A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Wheat and Tares



"NOW I saw in my dream that when Obstinate had turned back,
Christian and Pliable talked as they went ahead over the plain; and
thus they entered into earnest conversation.
CHRISTIAN: Now tell me, neighbor Pliable; how are you
getting along? I am glad you were persuaded to come along with
me. Had even Obstinate felt what I have sensed concerning the
powers and terrors of the world to come that are presently unseen,
he would not have so lightly turned his back upon us.
PLIABLE: Then good neighbor Christian, since there are only
the two of us here, do tell me further of the things that are ahead,
what they are like, how they will be enjoyed, and where we are
going.
CHRISTIAN: I can better appreciate them with my mind than
with my tongue. Nevertheless, since you are eager to know, I will
describe them to you from my book.
PLIABLE: And do you believe that the words of your book are
certainly true?
CHRISTIAN: Yes, definitely so, for it was written by he who
cannot possibly lie." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


There are now two on the journey.One is called by God, the other is seeking something better. The Church has both. The true believers that have Christ at the center of their lives. The others, have themselves as the center of their universe. They are their hoping to get something. The parable of the wheat and the tares illustrate this.


 "Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.  “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’
 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’
 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them.  Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”


Once again we see two destinies. Extremely different destinies. Why? They from two different sources. The wheat was sowed by God. The tares by Satan. Both grew together, but had totally different outcomes.



"May the glory of the Lord endure for ever;

may the Lord rejoice in his works --
who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the Lord.
Let sinners be consumed from the earth,
and let the wicked be no more.
Bless the Lord, O my soul.
Praise the Lord!" Psalm 104



No comments:

Post a Comment