A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Wilderness:

"As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a Den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep: and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream." John Bunyon's Pilgrim's Progress

This present world is not our paradise. I mean it was supposed to be long along, but the Fall ruined all of that. As Augustine put it, "All of humanity was really present in Adam when he sinned, and therefore all have sinned. As sinners, humans are utterly depraved in nature, lack the freedom to do good, and cannot respond to the will of God without divine grace. The present world is almost inhabitable. Human beasts roam about seeking to devour one another. Like Moses (who named a son Gershom) and the Hebrews who wandered their way through the wilderness, we now spend our time in a land where we are foreigners in a foreign land. I Peter said it best that we are aliens and strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment