A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Be Thankful

"Then said the Interpreter to Christian, Have you considered all the things you have seen?
Christian: Yes, and they put me in hope and fear.
Interpreter: Well, keep all of them in your mind so that they may be as a prod to your sides, to prick you forward in the way you must go.
Then Christian began to gird up his loins, and ready himself for his Journey. Then said the Interpreter, The Comforter will always be with you, good Christian, to guide you in the way that leads to the City. So Christian went on his way saying,

'Here I have seen things rare and profitable;
Things pleasant, dreadful, things to make me stable
In what I have begun to take in hand;
Then let me think on them, and understand
Wherefore they showed me was, and let me be thankful,
O good Interpreter, to thee.'" John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

Christian, has learned much while in the company of the Interpreter. He has been challenged to be more than he is capable of being. The good news is that it isn't dependent on Christian. Interpreter has told him that Comforter will always be with him.

Christian, prays that he will not forget what he has seen and that he will fully understand all of it. This shows his humility before God. I need your help, Father. Please do not let me forget all that you have shown me and please let me fully understand all that you desire for me!

Christian, also prays that God will allow him to be fully thankful. This goes hand in hand with the first part, not forgetting what God has done and understanding all that God has done. It is easy to remember the bad and forget the good. That is a characteristic of sin. We pay attention to the negatives in our lives. We forget all that God has done in our lives and do not fully understand what He is doing in our lives. Christian, does not want to forget where he was before he was set on this journey and he wants to remember all that has been done for him during this journey.

Take time to be thankful. Remember where you were before God called you to Him self or where you could be now except grace was shown to you. Be thankful everyday for the common everyday blessings God bestows on you.


"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
I Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment