A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Christian meets the Interpreter

"THEN he went on till he came to the house of the Interpreter,
where he knocked at the entrance over and over again. At last
someone came to the door and asked, “Who is there?”
CHRISTIAN: Sir, I am a traveler who was advised by an
acquaintance of the good man of this house to call here for my
benefit. Therefore I would like to speak with the master of this
house.
So the man at the door called for the master of the house, who
soon came to Christian and asked him what was the reason for his
visit.
CHRISTIAN: Sir, I am a man who has come from the City of
Destruction and am on my way to Mount Zion. I was told by one
Good-will at the Wicket-gate, the commencement of this narrow
way, that if I called here you would show me excellent things that
would be of help to me in my journey.
INTERPRETER: By all means come in, and I will certainly show
you things that you will find beneficial.
So he commanded his helper to light the candle and then invited
Christian to follow him." John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


Christian is on the straight and narrow path. He has been sent, by the gatekeeper of the gate of salvation, to the Interpreter. The Interpreter asks Christian why he has come to visit. Once again, Bunyan, shows us that it was common for people to question people to deduce if they were believers instead of just taking it for granted.


The Interpreter hears that Christian realized that he lived in the City of Destruction. He knows his destination is Zion. Christian also tells the Interpreter that he was allowed in at the gate by the gatekeeper and was sent by Him to the Interpreter.


Only after receiving a sufficient answer does the Interpreter invite him in. He tells Christian that he will show him things that will be beneficial to Christian. Then the light is lit and he begins to guide Christian.

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." 
John 16:13


“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me." John 15:26


"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26



"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments,"  I Cor. 2:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment