A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Day of Judgement

"So Interpreter took Christian by the hand again, and led him into a Chamber, where there was one rising out of bed; and as be put on his robe, he shook and trembled. Then said Christian, Why doth this man thus tremble? The Interpreter then encouraged the man to tell Christian the reason. So he began and said, This night, as I was in my sleep, I dreamed, and behold the Heavens grew exceeding black; also it thundred and lightned in the most fearful way, that it put me into an agony; so I looked up in my Dream, and saw the Clouds move at an unusual rate, upon which I heard a great sound of a Trumpet, and saw a Man sit upon a Cloud, attended with the thousands of Heaven; they were all in flaming fire, as was the Heavens. I heard then a Voice saying, Arise ye dead, and come to Judgment; and with that the Tombs broke, the Graves opened, and the Dead that were therein came forth. Some of them were exceeding glad, and looked upward; and others sought to hide themselves under the Mountains. Then I saw the Man that sat upon the Cloud open the Book, and bid the World draw near. Yet there was, by reason of a fierce flame which issued out and came from before him, a convenient distance between him and them, as between the Judge and the Prisoners at the bar. I heard it also proclaimed to them that attended on the Man that sat on the Cloud, "Gather together the Tares, the Chaff, and Stubble, and cast them into the burning Lake." And with that, the bottomless pit opened, just where I stood; out of the mouth of which there came in an abundant manner, smoke and coals of fire, with hideous noises. It was also said to the same persons, "Gather my Wheat into the Garner." And with that I saw many catch’d up and carried away into the Clouds, but I was left behind. I also sought to hide myself, but I could not, for the Man that sat upon the Cloud still kept his eye upon me: my sins also came into my mind; and my Conscience did accuse me on every side. Upon this I awakened from my sleep. 
Christian: But what was it that made you so afraid of this sight?
Man. Why, I thought that the day of Judgment was come, and that I was not ready for it: but this frighted me most, that the Angels gathered up several, and left me behind; also the pit of Hell opened her mouth just where I stood: my Conscience too afflicted me; and as I thought, the Judge had always his eye upon me, showing indignation in his countenance."
John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

Interpreter has given Christian a marvelous view of the Day of Judgement. On that day the dead and alive will all be called together to be judged by the Father. As Christian saw, there will be those that will rejoice mightily that the day has finally come. There will also be those that will realize that all that they gambled on was wrong and they will try to hide, but fail.

For those that will rejoice, it will not be because they did anything better than those who will hide. They did not do more good than bad. It was because of grace! No one will be able to boast on that day. They were shown mercy. It was that Jesus died for the sins of those that He called unto Himself.

"God made Jesus who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Jesus we might become the righteousness of God." II Corinthians 5:21

For the others, they will be subject to a fiery judgement. We do not see it, but the reality is, we are all in the hands of the Father. Below us is judgement. We all deserve for God to let us slip from His fingers into the fire and brimstone that is reserved for sinners. Hell is open up! Its hungry mouth is ready to swallow us whole. Soon there will be no time for excuses or pity. Demons will leap on the poor souls as they have been carving to do for centuries. There, for eternity they will scream and suffer, but there be no relief.

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:11-15

“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent. ’“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’” Luke 16:19-31


If God has removed the blinds from your eyes, and you have heard what is being said, seek Him now! Cry out, today. Don't wait. Beg for God's mercy and grace. Seek the sacrificial blood of Christ. Call upon the mighty name of Jesus! Plead for God to free you from your sinful life that you may turn from your wicked ways. Cry out to your creator to show you the way out. Do not allow the enemy to snatch this moment away. Mercy! Mercy! Mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment