A daily devotion

Now, enjoy one of the world's all-time favorite books as it challenges you in your daily walk with God.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Budget Driven Churches


"Now, I saw in my dream that Interpreter again took
Christian by the hand and led him into a very small room in which
there sat two little children, each one in his own chair. The name of
one was Passion and the other Patience. Passion seemed to be
very unhappy while Patience remained calm and quiet. Then
Christian asked, 'What is the reason for Passion’s unrest?'
Interpreter replied, 'The Governor of these children would like
him wait for the best things that are to be bestowed at the
beginning of the next year. But he wants to have his inheritance
now, while Patience is quite willing to wait.'"
John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress


There is a new name for some churches, 'Budget Driven Churches.' These churches; because of building programs, large wages, and programs, have budgets that have become nearly impossible to sustain. They are like the first child. They want everything now. They demand their inheritance and spend it unwisely. The bible tells us that we are to take care of the poor, the needy, the widows, and their children.

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.... “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.........’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me........’ Matthew 25:31-46


This does not mean we can gain our salvation by acts of charity or good works. This is a parable meant to teach one lesson. The lesson is to show the believer what we are supposed to be doing. We are not commanded to build big churches. We are not supposed to make our pastors rich. We spend millions on buildings and beautiful grounds surrounding them, yet the poor and needy go hungry in the same neighborhood. 


Missions is now nearly extinct in church budgets. As Our Savior was about to ascend to Heaven, He gave His last marching orders. 


“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:16-20


What happened to that Great Commission? Business meetings are filled with how much money will be spent on carpet and sound equipment, when the discussions should be how more missionaries may be sent out. How many churches are mortgaged to the hilt? Preachers need the people to give and thus are forced to make the people happy. The church also is afraid to make the government unhappy. The IRS controls what pastors have to say or they may lose their tax exemption.



We are supposed to busy doing what we were commanded. Pastors can't preach sermons that will challenge the congregation. They cannot preach hell and brimstone, least the people stop coming or giving. So the sermons are feel good sermons. People leave happy and give and all is well, except God. One day these pastors will have to stand before Him and give an account.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment